Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Anger Untamed

When we pay to do a job and it's not done well, our first reaction is anger. Then we vow to get a refund or a makeover. Last month I went to do my nails, something I have not had the luxury to do for many years. I asked for a simple French manicure. As the lady manicurist noticed my short nails, she suggested that I used some extensions, the minute I nodded yes she bounced me to a male nail technician.  He did not utter one word,  put on his mask and started scraping and drilling my already non-existent nails. Frozen, not wanting to question his expertise, I thought maybe that must be the innovative way to give a manicure.  He gestured for me to choose  - still with his mask on -  from a variety of colors displayed on plastic imitation nails.  After applying the color, he put my naked hands under some UV light and boom 15 minutes 35 dollars. I made a conscious choice not to give any tips for it felt like I had just survived a nightmare.

When I reached home, I put on my reading glasses and noticed the mediocre job that was done. Mad at myself for having let someone pocket my money after such a subpar service,  I decided to travel back to that place two hours away just to vent my dissatisfaction.  At that time, the refrain that my mind kept singing was "it's a matter of principles."  At the salon I took a seat as he was busy. In the meantime other workers looked at the nails shook their heads and asked me politely to wait for him. When he finally approached me, he was adamant that he would not fix the nails. I went back home more disappointed than I had left before. Then, came the moment of clarity.  I resolved to learn how to personally care for my nails. I went and purchased a collection of nail tools, watched some YouTube videos, and took over my manicure.

     Anger is a normal human reaction,  but need not to become our master. Jesus was angry at the merchants in the temple, but did not let his anger turn into sin. The Bible exhorts not to let the sun set on our anger. Once we go to bed with anger in our heart the natural occurrence of sleeping restfully or peacefully is gone. Then starts the meditation of evil. Ideas of revenge, wickedness and crimes lay down brewing next to us in our own beds.

     When anger gets out of control it gives birth to hatred, selfishness,  greediness, and confusion.  Those spirits, if left untamed, will turn us into caricatures and monsters far-fetched from the  divine plan. Our arrogance oftentimes creates all sorts of barriers, macabre plans behind the scenes that give us an illusion of superiority over others. Consequently, we start perceiving threats that need to be destroyed; we begin spreading/ passing fears on others. We become paranoid. Everything around us becomes our enemies. Many times an introspection would help us win over our personal inner demons instead of those of the neighbors.  For we need to sweep and put order in ourselves before we can deal with others' imperfections.

Many times our circumstances, hurdles and disappointments are angels ordered in our paths to take us into our destiny. If we lose our minds over some silly distractions we may not enter in our promise land.

No comments:

Post a Comment