Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Embrace Hidden Wisdom

Sometimes I feel like our lenses are distorted.  What are considered small might be bigger and vice versa. What we are discarding as junks might be the greatest treasures. We have come to a world so older than us, yet have become experts so full of ourselves that we are falling under the weight of our arrogance.  The more we discover, the more there is and will be to be discovered. There will always be mountains behind the mountains, galaxies further than the newest ones we've just discovered as The Divine is constantly moving. We need to open our mind and eyes to find and embrace wisdom wherever wisdom might be hiding.
     For example, The Bible a source of knowledge, guidance and inspiration for millennia, has been facing opposition in certain countries, places or institutions. In this country, carrying and reading a Bible in the open in certain schools have had pretty rough consequences. If one is free to read any other book on any other subject on planet earth why exclude the Bible? Some stipule that the Bible is controversial, what in the world is not? Let's bring it to our scholarly discussions, let's expose the controversies. Let it be another subject in the classroom.  Our children are exposed daily to nudity, drugs and violence on tv, through diverse papers and magazines, on the streets, but we feel that they need to be protected from the "controversies" of the Bible? We can teach our kids about everything from Socrates to Shakespeare, about all types of behavior appropriate and inappropriate, and cannot  let them be exposed to the content of one of the most sacred books in history?  Our kids are smarter than that. They need to be equipped to learn, dispell, compare and make conscious choices between fallacies and truth.
     I was born and raise in church. For half of my school years I went to a church school where parents and family members were the pastors, the teachers. I believe that who I am wouldn't be possible without these intrisic values passed down to me from generations of unbending and faithful servants.
     The Bible was my story book since we did not have access to  libraries of books and e-books. The Bible was my mirror.  Its stories were my different scenarios.  I would picture my life as an angel and fight against the role of a demon. I would walk vicariously in Mary, the mother of Jesus' shoes. I dreamed of being Esther who would save her people from destruction through her faith and grace. I owned every story of victory in the Bible; they were my epic moments. I had so many great heroes and heroines to look up to. Those crazy and vicious battles had prepared me for my personal battles in life, knowing that whether spiritual or physical, all my battles are The Lord's. That I can depend on His promises to strengthen me, protect me, fight in my stead and gIves me great victory. The Bible has remained my favorite book,  for in it, are hidden exhaustless treasures.
     The ants and bees for example are tiny creatures compared to us giants. Yet the way they structure, manage and uphold their colonies amazes and inspires us. We have been intrigued by their way of life, and have studied them extensively.  Their survival and  prosperity are  incumbent upon their unity. " Men anpil chay pa lou" L'union fait la force" A Haitian proverb that can be translated as "Out of many hands the burden is light". This truthful statement solidifies the belief of the power of many.
The power of many has been considered a threat in many civilisations in history.  Remember that anything wrongly used can become a threat or a danger. A group of ill- prepared intellectuals will conspire to create / invent destructive means to eliminate / destroy. While a group of compassionate scholars would consort to advance the welfare of humanity. A group of bad spirited businesssmen will work to the detriment of their sociey, while a group of visionaries will work to its benefits. A group of ill-spirited leaders will expose tthe lives of many to great dangers, while well spirited ones will work together towards the safety and well being of their communities.
     When one ant spots a morsel it sends a signal to invite the whole community.  Such invitation creates the desire and the willingness to participate in lifting the burden, then sharing the joy.  Since from family A through family Z in the ants' world the spirit of trust, mutual respect, participation, dedication and fair retribution exist, no montain will stand on their way.  When duty and honor, service and satisfaction, work and reward walk hand in hand it eases the participation in the process. When everyone feel and know that that they matter individually, they will get involved naturally. For example, I have never had a problem volunteering at my job. I have swept, picked up garbage and mopped floors. It's my belief that whatever I do cannot take away anything from who I am. It took parents, children, friends, religious leaders, teachers, neighbors, villages, communities, countries, establishments to nurture and build the woman I am today.

Our children need our collective support. We need to be concerned about their whole beings, body , mind and soul. We may puff up ourselves as much as we will;,  every night we are reminded that we do not have absolute control, or knowledge.  Our children and us will see tomorrow unless He allows us to. Falling asleep or dying should humble us all and bring us on our knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment